English Language Facilitator (full-time)
Through the Total Immersion Program, ESEC provides a unique platform to equip Chinese teachers with effective learning, teaching strategies and tools that empower students and bring joy to learning. Our efforts work towards closing the large educational equity gap in China, bringing opportunity to students all across China, especially in rural areas, from the mountains of Tibet to the grasslands villages of Inner Mongolia. TIP is among the few not-for-profit programs with a large scale impact, technical expertise, and long history in China. TIP aims to improve basic English education and empower English teachers and students in underserved regions throughout the country.
As a facilitator, you would lead dynamic conversational group activities in the English teacher training classroom, provide teaching/learning strategies, and teach about native English speaking country’s culture. Traveling out of our Peking University base, ESEC’s teacher training sessions take place in locations throughout China, which means a facilitator could experience a wide range of the cultures, foods, and landscapes China has to offer. Through your service and professional endeavors, you will have opportunities to improve the lives of teachers and their students, and to show His love in China through the building of meaningful and lasting relationships.
– JOB DETAILS & REQUIREMENTS –
What you will be doing:
• Modeling student-centered learning activities in the classroom, using our ready-made program lesson plans and materials.
• Equipping teachers to apply student-centered learning and higher-order thinking methods in their own classroom.
• Facilitating lively conversational activities.
• Motivating English teachers with love and encouragement many rarely receive.
• Sharing knowledge of Western culture in and out of the classroom.
• Working with the ESEC-TIP team to develop lessons based on new research and information.
• Assisting ESEC-TIP Education Specialists in creating training materials, and providing Chinese teacher coaching in long-term projects.
• Bachelor’s degree in any subject (Education preferred)
• Passport holder of an English speaking country such as USA, Canada, Australia, U.K, New Zealand, South Africa, Singapore. Clear, fluent English-speaking ability.
• Have a heart to serve and a positive attitude
• Have the ability to collaborate in a team environment and the ability to adjust to last minute changes as necessary.
• Good health and eagerness to travel is required.
• At least 2 years of English language teaching and/or training experience.
• Age 58 and under
Desired Skills and Experience
• Excellent communication and/or public speaking skills
• Eager to learn and ability to self-learn
• Ability to work under pressure and flexibility to adapt quickly to new and/or challenging environments.
• Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and administrative support.
• Understanding of Asian culture/language and/or foreign living experience is a plus.
• 5000 to 8000 RMB/month stipend (depending on qualifications and responsibilities)
• Housing and utilities provided
• Chinese health insurance provided (for Z-visa holders)
• Training provided.
• Generous “exploration” allowance
• Annual reimbursement for one (1) round-trip coach airfare to home country (one way if not returning to China)
• 21 paid holidays and 10 days of paid vacation per year
Though seasonal, on average, ESEC runs anywhere between 1 and 4 teaching programs per month in different cities around China, of varying length depending on the local/program needs and the organization’s calendar. Your monthly assignment may include one or two weekend trainings/workshops per month, and your travel outside of Beijing might total from 5-20 days per month. Being in good health and eager to travel is required for this position.
A typical full month of work might include, for example, one 7-day school district visit with one of our local education bureau partners, one weekend teacher training/conference, and/or one 9-day English teacher training program. (Days worked during a weekend will normally be compensated with approved time off in lieu). During a teaching program, a typical day might include 3-5 hours of classroom/ instructional time, and 2-4 hours of preparation/office work time, as well as structured socializing with students.
We’d love to hear from you!CLICK HERE TO APPLY FOR THE POSITION OF English Language facilitator
Your Application Step-By-Step
- Step 1.
Start your application by letting us know what month(s) you’d like to serve with us, your contact information and personal information.
- Step 2.
For the year-long application process, we ask that you submit four references (1 pastoral, 1 supervisor, 1 close friend and a family member). You can submit your references in the application form. Please reach out to us if you have questions about this.
- Step 3.
We also ask you to write a few brief essays reflecting on your desire to serve in China and on some personal experiences.
- Step 4.
After you submit your application and all your references have come in, our recruitment office will be in touch with you shortly to invite you for a Skype interview. But don’t wait until then to contact us! We’d love to hear from you.
Contact our office
Contact Human Resources
Contact our Beijing Office